Monday 20 January 2014

Are Schools Killing Creativity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Sir Ken Robinson seems to think so! In this comedic TED talk, Robinson does a marvelous job putting into perspective the negative influence public schooling has on creativity. Without revealing too much about this lecture, I would like to comment on his closing statement about "our task" being "to educate their whole being".  This statement is valid in every respect. As a prospective educator, I believe it is important to be aware of the diversity of students that I will encounter within my classroom. Each of these students will have aptitudes for a number of different things, some of which may or may not be recognized as an academic "subject"; for that reason alone, I feel it is equally important that I cater to the learning needs of those individuals as well. Furthermore, I am a firm believer that an "education" is not merely a degree or diploma that qualifies someone to work in a particular field, rather a culmination of knowledge that relates to every aspect of that individuals life. Under this assumption,  I cannot stress the importance of the education of what Robinson has termed the "whole being". This video is definitely worth a watch, it is both funny and eye opening at the same time; I just hope you enjoy as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment